Monday, September 8, 2008

Sustainability

My word for the year is ....sustainability. I've started shredding my newspaper and adding it to my compost along with the coffee grounds I get from Starbucks, horse manure I gather from nearby barns, grass clippings from my neighbors' yard and any sort of vegetable waste that comes out of my kitchen. The plan is to take the resultant compost and use it to fertilize my garden, the results of which end up in our tummy!!!

Well, I had a new use for my compost reveal itself yesterday! As I stirred the upper layer of newspaper with fresh grass clippings, I noticed some little crawlie things squirming in the compost material. I picked one up and low and behold, I'm growing mealyworms in my compost pile!! Just so happens my chickens LOVE mealyworms. I guess it's a little gross picking mealyworms out of rotting crap but I'm saving on chicken feed now and my girls come running whenever they see me scavanging in the pile. I feel so loved.

Hhmmm. Since I eat their eggs everyday, I guess I'm eating mealyworms too!! And if you think that's bad, just try not to remember what part of the chicken from which the egg comes out.

1 comment:

pennylutz said...

Eeeewwww! Gross! But I will admit, I've never eaten anything out of your garden or chickens that wasn't delicious. Well, except for collards, but those are just yucky.