Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Goober Peas (Peanuts for the Uninitiated)


I see from the comments to my last blog that there are some of you out there that are a little out of touch with the natural cycle of life. You guys need to watch "The Lion King"...you know, the Circle of Life! Stuff has to rot and decay for other things to grow. That's just how it is. We will all eventually go the way of the worm and return to the Earth's embrace.

So, for y'all that are a little queasy, today's blog is on peanut butter. Last year I grew my first small crop of peanuts and harvested a couple of pounds of good Virginia peanuts from my southside raised garden bed. I roasted them and today shelled them in preparation for the great smushing. My blender made short work of the legumes but I had to add a bit of peanut oil to get it to smooth out. That's okay. As the peanut butter sits, the oil will rise and I can pour the extra off. A touch of salt brought out the flavor and it tastes just like the freshly ground product you can by at a local health food store. Fresh and organic!

It takes some time to do stuff like this and I don't think I'll try to grow enough for my PB&J needs for the year. Still, it feels good to know I can.

2 comments:

Sheri and her Men said...

Work it! I want some fresh PB for my boy, he'd go crazy for it!

E said...

That is awesoeme--its that easy to grow peanuts?! I never knew. Ah the things I have learned about being domestic from you and your daughter:)