Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Faye Part 3....the Aftermath







I told you about the rain that Faye dumped on the Florida pennisula. The 18 inches in my backyard drained fairly fast. The 3 feet of rain in other areas are slowly draining as well. And it's all draining into the St. John's River.

The news reports of flooded roads and homes shocked most of us as we usually don't receive so much precipitation in such a short period of time. My view of the river first hand humbled me more than I can say. Yes, homes were flooded, but I didn't think of the wildlife and the ecosystem as a whole. They were also devastated and nothing brought it into such focus as the plight of the marsh bunnies. In a little bitty area of 100 by 10 yards, there must have been 100 bunnies. They didn't run when we approached....they had no place elso to go. It's hard to see the bunnie but the glowing eye gives it away.

I took these pictures the end of August. My husband says the river is still flooded.

No comments: