Thursday, November 1, 2012

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare

I've been doing some experimenting lately around self sufficiency.  I have to admit that the threat of the National Nanny State has made me hyper sensitive to being dependent on government assistance for rescue.  Now I know that one day I will need help; however, my goal is to go as long as possible without it.

So that being said, last night I made split pea soup from storage foods and left over frozen ham.  The peas were rather old...20 years in a #10 can...and there IS a slight "old" smell, but they cooked down fine and had an acceptable taste.  To take it one step further, I dehydrated the leftover soup to see if it would rehydrate ok.  And it did!  I added 6 tablespoons of soup powder to 1/2 cup of boiling water and it tasted just fine.  So I'll packet it up in the Food Saver bags for a quickie lunch or emergency food.

Also, I purchased a Chili pouch at Aldis yesterday to try as a possibility for my 72 hour kit.  It calls for nearly 3 cups of water but I didn't realize that it also calls for tomato paste.  Okay.  So I made it for lunch today.  I like the flavor but it's definitely more a soup than an chili and not a good addition to my "Git Kit." 

The other thing that I've been concerned about is basic health care for WTSHTF.  I've been concerned that antibiotic ointment would lose potency and infection is a real threat when sanitation is compromised.  I've been introduced to Collodial Silver as an antibacterial agent and will be testing the ointment to see how it compares to my old standby.

I had the pleasure of going to a preparedness expo a few weeks ago and found some really good ideas to expand on.  I'm adding blood clotting compresses for dangerous bleeding as well as a tourniquet.  Let's face it, if you have profuse bleeding under your ear (think coratid artery), you are unlikely to want a tourniquet around your neck!!!  My daughter Penny gave me the idea to use contact lense saline solution for a wound wash, and she and my hubby  reminded me that superglue is very effective at joining human tissue (though I understand it burns really, really bad.)

I was going to buy a  commercial medical kit but an ailing air conditioner has mandated a different course of action for now.  So much to do!!!!

No comments: