Monday, November 12, 2012

GORP.....(or more correctly, GORMP)


 
 

 
Ever since I've started my last round of prudent living, I've thought about our 72 hour kits.  Our extended family had a fun dinner the last night the Lutz's were here in October eating assorted "survival" foods.  The freeze dried entrees tasted the best but then you had to be able to boil water.  The MRE's were just ok but you could warm them up under your armpit if you had to.  I decided canned goods were good enough...until I packed them in our backpacks.  Oh no.....this was NOT going to work.
 
My husband happened to mention trail mix and the little light bulb went off!  Of course!  Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.  I have to add the M&M's though to make it really, really good.  There's a good amount of protein here from the peanuts, a couple servings of fruit with the raisins and a sugar rush from the chocolate.  By including 2 oz EACH, we have 875 calories in only 6 oz of weight.  Now that's MUCH more acceptable for 2 little ole people lugging survival gear around. 


No comments: