Monday, November 12, 2012

What Happens When You Find 22 Year Old Popcorn?



Twenty years ago, I felt the urge and call to start my food storage.  I dry packed wheat, rice, split peas, salt, sugar, hard candy, potato flakes, flour, powdered milk and popcorn.  As I've gone through my ancient stores I've discovered that some things stored well.  The split peas are still edible though there is a slight old flavor to it.  The flour and potato flakes were unusable and I dumped them into the compost pile.  The powdered milk could be used but I'd rather not.  I'll use that for calcium loving plants in my garden such as tomatoes and broccoli.  The hard candy still shakes freely.  The wheat will be good for a very long time.  And the popcorn still pops although the flavor is old and I don't choose to use it. 

Enter my Wonder Mill Junior.  Because I DO have chickens in my backyard and chickens like cracked corn, I figured I could crack that popcorn and my girls would have a treat.  Did you know that popcorn is the hardest grain you're likely to grind?  Well, I've been wanting an upper body workout.  I secured my mill, opened a single can and got to work.  My heart rate monitor says my heart got up to 135 bpm and by the time I'd finished cracking the popcorn, I'd burned 150 calories. I guess that's why our ancestors didn't need to "exercise." 

1 comment:

pennylutz said...

That's cool. I'm glad you are finding use for that corn...did teh chickens love it?