Tuesday, August 21, 2012

So What's Wrong With This Picture.......?????

I've been having knee issues since April.  No big deal really but a nuisance to be sure....until last month when I felt a pop in my knee.  The excruciating pain dropped me on the spot.  So began my forey into the American Medical Machine.

For a number of reasons, primarily financial, I have chosen to buy a high deductible policy.  Routine doctors' visits come out of my pocket but after I reach my deductible, all other covered charges are paid by my insurance.  For me it's worked well because it's tied to an HSA and because I own my own business, both premiums and HSA contributions are tax deductible.  I quickly realized, however,  that this relatively minor surgery that my knee requires will satisfy my financial obligations and then some.  After much thought and prayer, I've decided to postpone this surgery until I can more comfortably afford my portion and notified my doctor of same.

To my surprise, I got a call from the surgical center with a counter proposal.  They told me that if I choose to self pay, I could reduce my portion from $3985 to $1650.  So.....if I don't go through my insurance company, the medical center can reduce my fees 59%???????  And this explains to me why our medical system is out of control.  Apparently it isn't the cost of MEDICAL care that has hiked the prices.  If this model is accurate, 59% of my medical dollar goes to clerical workers.

HHHMMMMM.......

This is also interesting to me because I've recently become aware of the bargain prices in Costa Rica and other medical tourist destinations.  It makes me wonder if, for cases such as mine, if I could match those bargain prices right here in the States!

No comments: