Monday, May 17, 2010

Hungover and Feeling Really Rotten

I had my mid Six Week Challenge measurements taken yesterday and I've lost a total of 8 inches around my tummy, hips and waist! I can feel the difference in how my pants fit but more especially how my shirts don't gap at the breast line anymore! I can't wait until I can fit in a regular size large!

Part of the program I'm using includes a "cheat meal" once a week. The idea is to kick start our metabolism...to make it believe that there is still plenty of food around so our bodies will continue to lose weight. Well, typically, I eat a little heavier for dinner on Sunday night and then finish it up with a BIG bowl of chocolate ice cream. I followed my pattern last night. I ate a nice serving of shrimp lo mein followed by my ice cream.

I woke up this morning sick. First, I didn't really sleep really well. When I did wake up, I had a headache and was nauseous. From what I hear, pretty normal symptoms of a hangover.

I love my family of origin. They were a wacky bunch with a lot of good qualities. And many of them were alcoholics. In my studies, I've learned that food addictions, especially around sugar, are VERY closely related to alcohol addiction. In fact, alcohol sugars metabolize even faster than glucose. So I'm not surprised that I feel like crap. Though I didn't check my blood sugar this morning, I wouldn't be surprised if it was up from my meal last night.

The whole point to this is that I have done the same of thing and expected different results for long enough. Though I need the extra calories occasionally to keep the metabolism revving, it would be wiser to eat an extra egg sandwich or a couple apples. After 52 years, maybe I've learned my lesson!

No comments: