Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Love Autumn!


I love the Fall. I love it when the cold fronts slide through Florida and we can pretend we actually have seasons for a few days. These are the nights when I can get out my fire pit and build a fire out of the wood I've gathered out of my yard in the past year. I've been wanting to go camping but after building my fire and roasting a few marshmallows, I'm kind of glad I get to sleep in my own soft bed.
There's something fascinating about fire and the embers it leaves behind. I can understand why early man thought it alive. I watch the embers ebb and flow, glow and fade, with a rhythm all their own. They draw me in with their dance and pull me back to a time before TV and before electric lights. To a time when nighttime conversation was how people passed the time before sleep. Fire meant connection, protection and safety. For me tonight, it means a peaceful night's rest after a very pleasant hour talking with my husband and enjoying the pleasures of times past.

No comments: