Friday, October 17, 2008

That Time of Year






























When people find out I live in Florida, one of the first things they say is, "doesn't it get hot down there?" The honest answer to that question is, you dang tootin' it does!!! From July to September, Central Florida can be miserable...hot, humid, sometimes stifling.

Ah, but the rest of the year makes it all worth it. Come October, the temperatures and humidity drop, the sky clears, the sun shines golden instead of hazy. It's gardening time!!!

There are green beans crawling up my shed with broccoli bordering it. A nice little strawberry patch beginning for a spring harvest. The very bottom picture has cucumber, eggplant and squash. And, a sample of a days' harvest.

It always amazes me how these little bitty seeds manage to take in moisture, warmth and sunlight and become these lovely plants that provide sustanance for us puny humans. I planted petunias too (picture to come soon) and the miracle magnifies. Those seeds resemble the period at the end of a sentence! How can such lovely flowers rise out of such a tiny beginning? It's a miracle I never tire of.














1 comment:

pennylutz said...

I love the flowers! I want to see a picture of the whole flower bed in front of the house. I'm jealous of all the yummy crops you get.